Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slice of Life


Spring is coming and training has started for the upcoming cycling season. As a personal goal I have chosen a few races to enter in both cycling and mountain biking. I wanted to push myself physically this year and since this is my hobby I thought it would be the best way. Since I have been a mountain bike enthusiast, I decided to gear myself to the fitness end of the sport and try cycling. Honestly, it's a stupid sport. You sit on an uncomfortable seat and put your body through nothing but extreme pain. Who would have thought it to be a good idea to try and ride up the longest, steepest hill as fast as they could and call it a sport, but for some strange reason I like it. I get to push myself harder than ever thought.  The wind rushes over me and the country side becomes a blur  as I push myself harder. Now it's time to take this hobby and bring it to a competitive level.

Many people would find it difficult to sit on a bike trainer, pedaling, going nowhere, but I see the end result in the suffering. Every pedal stroke is a challenge and a benefit. It teaches me dedication, work ethic and enforces the idea that you really have to work for things that you want, whether it's winning a race or getting a job. This sport is pure discipline and makes you want to scream "SHUT UP LEGS!" So as I sit on this trainer on a Tuesday night spin class, I see myself in the races to come. I see the hard work paying off. I see myself to be a better person and even though at this moment I am thinking about how stupid this sport is, I am excited for the moment when I'm at the starting line with the pack and know that I can beat every single one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment