Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Observations

This week I observed a special ed class, grades 1-3. My focus is 5-12 literacy, so it may not have been the best move, but I wanted my observations to be well rounded. I walked into the classroom and was immediately impressed. Colors everywhere, smiling teachers, great classroom layout and a huge solar system model that spanned the entire classroom. I've know this school district for my entire life, and never thought it to be what it is. I met the teacher who I would be observing for the day and she greeted me and told me to loosen my tie, this is a fun environment. I'm a tall person, 6'5", so when all of the 1-3 graders walked in they saw me right away. Younger children have always been amazed by my height and my demeanor so for the most part everyone was comfortable.
Before the students walked in though, I watched the teacher I observed and how energetic she was. She was running around the room making sure everything was ready and in it's place for the days activities. I offered to help, but I knew there was little I could do, she was on a totally different level than I was. Throughout the day I saw a lot of students struggle through there challenging lesson. Fractions, reading comprehension and Easter crafts were a few of them. I was amazed at how this teacher was able to control her students and how effective she was. There were are 12 students in her class, all with IEP's. She knows how to handle each and every one of them and tailors lessons to their needs. She made it look so easy, but to get up every day and go through what she experiences is extremely difficult. A lot of people don't understand what someone like her goes though on a daily basis and it's too bad. She isn't always recognized for her work and often doesn't receive the gratitude she deserves. I saw her look at one of her 1st grade students with a giant smile after he successfully completed a challenging reading comprehension exercise. Once I saw that smile I knew that she had successfully mad an impact on that student, and that is why she teaches. She doesn't teacher for the gratitude, money or recognition, because those factors aren't always there. She teaches to make an impact on someones life and most of the time, that is an internal accomplishment. This particular teacher gave me a comforting look on teaching and what she goes through every day. Despite all of the challenges, I could tell she loves what she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment