Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Battenkill Cat. 5 Race

This past weekend I completed my first Cycling race. It is called Tour of the Battenkill, a grueling 65 mile race with over 5,000 feet of vertical climbing (nearly one mile straight up), consisting of dirt roads, sleet, potholes, endless mud and 1,200 cyclists. Saying it is a challenge doesn't give it justice, especially for a first timer. I picked up the sport in January and dove straight in. I only placed 22 out of 56, and four riders didn't even finish, but I consider it to be an accomplishment. 3 hours and 39 minutes of the most difficult cycling I have done yet. I experienced every type of emotion, I wanted to cry, I felt happiness, I cursed and I was angry. The whole thing was a painful blur, but I will remember this experience forever. The best thing about the race was chugging a quarter gallon of chocolate milk after I finished, chocolate milk never tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment